[MPlayer-users] Video codec fall-back doesn't work with vdpau?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Oct 25 10:49:13 CEST 2011

On 25 Oct 2011, at 03:35, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson at cox.net> wrote:
> On 10/24/2011 08:03 PM, Jonathan Isom wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson at cox.net>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> mplayer r34237
>>> Nvidia 8400GS
>>> libvdpau 0.4
>>> driver 285.05.09
>>>
>>> These three commands perfectly play the AVI at hand:
>>>  $ mplayer -noconfig all foo.avi
>>>  $ mplayer -noconfig all -vo xv -vc ffodivx foo.avi
>>>  $ mplayer -noconfig all -vo vdpau,xv -vc ffodivx foo.avi
>>>
>>> However, I'd like it to use h/w accel if possible, so following the man
>>> page, I put "search lists" for both -vo and -vc.
>>>
>>> But mplayer doesn't fallback from ffodivxvdpau to ffodivx.  Am I doing
>>> something wrong, or is there a known limitation/bug that I somehow haven't
>>> ferreted out with my awesome Google-fu?
>> Hi
>> If I recall correctly , an 8400gs does not support h/w for divx.
>> You can check the readme that comes with the nvidia driver.
>
> Knew that, which is why I added the fallback to ffodivx.
>
> The purpose of this exercise is to try to create an mplayer.conf for my family that automagically works for any kind of video that they throw at it.
>
>> mplayer is trying to use it regardless. May be a bug in mplayer
>> or the driver.
>>

> That's my question: why isn't mplayer falling back like the docs say they should?

Because the codec is working fine, the errors are from the vo.
MPlayer can't fall back to a different codec based on problems in the vo.
The more proper solution is to get rid of the (need for a) separate VDPAU codec as it was already done for MPEG1/2 XvMC.
Just someone needs to have the time and motivation for it...