[MPlayer-users] does mplayer play *.WTV files?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 03:01:07 CEST 2011

Dear kind folks,

I have a friend that records tv shows and plays them back on his machine with windows media player and/or vlc.  Both media player(windows) and vlc are crashing while trying to play these files.  I let him know that beside vlc, there exist mplayer which is free and open source.  He uses Windows Vista and Windows 7 but 64 bit.

I have found smplayer 0.6.9

http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/downloads.php?tr_lang=en

which is an old version, is there any newer version?

http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php

lists a win32 version, but does it have a gui?

 or should I install a compiler on his machine and build it from source?  I have experience building from source on linux /freebsd(ports), but not on ming(win32) or win64 if there exists such a port.

Both windows media player and vlc are crashing, and he wants to play tv shows on his pc.  If there are some builds out there(mplayer), or codecs to install, my friend would like to know.  Any suggestions/advice/comments are welcome and appreciated.

Regards,

Antonio