[MPlayer-users] When do I *have to* update MPlayer?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Nov 24 14:21:04 CET 2011

Manuel Reimer <manuel.spam <at> nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> I'm running a MPlayer version from 2010-12-18. This is the version, wich is
> currently "up-to-date" on Slackware Linux:
>
> ftp://ftp.slackware.at/slackware-current/source/xap/MPlayer
>
> Is this version vulnerable to serious security holes?

At least one such exploit is known, yes.
(Search for "assisted discovery of vulnerabilities yamaguchi")

It is said not to be reproducible with current MPlayer svn.

> When do I *have to* update my MPlayer? I'm using MPlayer inside my browser!

I think you are the only one who can answer that.

> Do I also have to monitor FFMPEG updates?

I may misunderstand the question: Whenever you update MPlayer, FFmpeg is also
updated. So whenever FFmpeg receives (for you) important updates, you should
update MPlayer.

Carl Eugen