[MPlayer-users] Playing trouble with multi-tuner dvb card

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch
Tue Nov 22 19:47:01 CET 2011

Le Tue, 22 Nov 2011 00:36:31 +0100,
Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> a écrit :

> On 21 Nov 2011, at 23:23, Nico Sabbi <nicola.sabbi at poste.it> wrote:
> > Reimar Döffinger ha scritto:
> >> The short and honest answer: The DVB maintainer has no time for
> >> MPlayer development, I have only little time and my only DVB device
> >> (DVB-T stick) seems is broken.
> >> So the honest truth unfortunately is that it is unlikely someone
> >> will fix it I am afraid. While the basic idea of fixing it by
> >> changing the syntax to use e.g.
> >> dvb://2:3@
> >> to mean adapter2/frontend3 is simple enough, making sure everything
> >> still works seems quite tricky and few people have a crazy enough
> >> setup to actually be able to test it...
> >> If you or someone else feel up to do a bit of "simple" C
> >> programming I'd be willing to help you getting it implemented.
> >>
> >> Reimar
> >>

> > why, what crazy names does udev assign? Yet, in my suse 11.3 (quite
> > recent after all) dvb names are the same as before even though
> > udevs is running.
>
> Nothing to do with udev (as far as I can tell), it's just a single
> device with multiple receivers etc., thus there are multiple
> frontend0 and frontend1 but only adapter0.

Yes, and all that my udev rules are doing is to create a new card with
symlinks to the real card. Only one frontend is created (with its
associated devices), adapter1/fronted0. It is a symlink to
adapter0/frontend1. That way, mplayer is able to find and use the 2
frontends of the real card.

Of course, if you have 2 or more cards, you don't need to do this
because udev will create adapter0, adapter1 and so on.

If someone else is interested by that, the command to run in order to
find the parameters for the udev rules is:

udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux1)

You can repeat it for all the devices in /dev/dvb/adapter0/*1

After writing the udev rules in some udev config file (distro specific
I think, /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules on gentoo), you must tell udev
to create the symlinks (or reboot) with

udevadm trigger