[MPlayer-users] Can't get English audio track to play from a Blu-Ray

Jonathan Busby jonathanbusby at gmail.com
Thu May 19 23:07:16 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Brendan Brewster
<brendan.brewster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>
> Maybe you also need to update to a more recent x264? ;)
>
> -Brendan

Well, I thought of it but I don't want to clobber my system libx264
install and I don't want to go through the trouble of creating a
chroot and re-installing hundreds of libraries.

I found this workaround instead :

mplayer -fs br:// -bluray-device ./tmp/ -afm  hwac3,hwdts -ao
alsa:noblock:device=hw=0.1

The problem now is that when I switch to the English channel my
Receiver changes from Dolby Digital to PCM. The English channel on my
Star Trek Blu-Ray is Dolby TrueHD and I think that the cause of the
aforementioned problem has something to do with DRM and the fact that
I'm not playing the audio via HDMI. I have similar behavior when
playing Avatar in that its English audio channel only gets
decoded as DTS on my receiver and not DTS-HD.

Jonathan