[MPlayer-users] A question on codecs

Mark Blain mblain2 at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 15:27:02 CEST 2011

Ingo Brückl <ib at wupperonline.de> wrote in
news:4dc920fb.09cc35ba.bm000 at wupperonline.de:

> I have a captured wmv live stream that makes MPlayer/Linux
> printing
>
>   Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load:
>   /usr/share/mplayer/codecs/wmv9dmod.dll
>
> and suggesting the download of the binary codecs package.
>
> But playback is just fine without it, and after getting the codec
> I cannot spot any difference.
>
> So, what would the codec be good for?
>
> Ingo

There are many cases where multiple codecs are able to process the
same audio or video.  Libavcodec can decode WMV video, as documented
here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libavcodec#Implemented_video_codecs

In your case Mplayer is trying its preferred codec first per
codecs.conf, and uses libavcodec when it's not found.

One way to suppress the warning is to force a particular video codec
or codec family with the -vc or -vfm options, as shown in the man
page.
ftp://ftp2.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html#DECODING/F
ILTERING OPTIONS