[MPlayer-users] ssa/ass rendering uses lots of cpu with -vo gl

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Sun May 1 23:01:54 CEST 2011

On 05/01/2011 10:29 AM, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
[snip]

> The system in question has very fast CPU, Core i5-2500K, 4 cores at 4.3
> Ghz. Video card is Radeon X1900 - while it's definitely an old video
> card, it's not weak by any means. From specification, it got PCI-E 16x
> interface, 256 bit memory bus w/GDDR4 memory and 46 GB/s bandwith, 10
> Gpixles/s and 10 Gtexles/s fillrate. Changing video card from Radeon
> X4000 series to this made watching videos in fullscreen quite painful,
> and I just can't understand the reason, no matter how I look at specs,
> this card should be more than enough for any kind of tricky buffers
> copying and such.

It's the video driver, silly.

An NVIDIA GeForce 210 (modern but trailing edge as far as raw specs)
plus the nvidia binary driver plus VDPAU will handle anything that
mplayer can throw at it without the CPU breaking a sweat.

The best part is that the 210 is fanless and cheap.  The 8400GS is a bit
cheaper but can't decode as many video codecs using VDPAU.

corrupt."