[MPlayer-users] "_snd_pcm_hw_open not defined" - ALSA plus MPlayer on ARM[AT91SAM9260]

Dennis Borgmann dennis.borgmann at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 30 16:03:11 CEST 2011

Hello alsa-users,
hello mplayer-users!

Recently, I tried to compile MPlayer 1.0rc4-4.3.5 for ARM AT91-SAM9260.

# uname
-a

Linux testsystem 2.6.33.7 #1 PREEMPT Wed Mar 30 13:33:39 CEST 2011
armv5tejl GNU/Linux

Compiling MPlayer did work out with this configure-line:

# export TGT=`pwd`/destdir
# ./configure --enable-cross-compile --cc=arm-linux-gcc
--as=arm-linux-as --host-cc=gcc --target=arm-linux --prefix=$TGT
--disable-network --disable-x11 --disable-gui --disable-armv6
--disable-armv6t2 --disable-armvfp --disable-neon --disable-iwmmxt
--disable-libmpeg2 --disable-libmpeg2-internal --disable-mencoder
--disable-tga --disable-pnm --disable-md5sum --disable-yuv4mpeg
--disable-tv --disable-ftp --disable-real --disable-xanim --disable-v4l2
--disable-dvb --disable-fbdev --disable-dvdnav
--disable-libdvdcss-internal --disable-dvdread-internal --disable-vcd
--disable-tremor-internal --disable-faad-internal --disable-ossaudio
--disable-mp3lib --enable-static --extra-cflags="-mcpu=arm920t -O3"
--disable-libvorbis

Then I still needed ALSA for mplayer to run on my embedded board. This
is the configure line for the alsa-lib:

# ./configure --disable-old-symbols --disable-alisp --target=arm-linux --host=arm-linux --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr \
--sysconfdir=/etc --enable-shared --enable-static --with-alsa-devdir=/dev/snd --with-pcm-plugins="all" --with-ctl-plugins="all" --without-versioned --disable-python --with-softfloat
# make

I also needed alsa-utils, with these steps I managed to compile it:

# export LDFLAGS="-L/home/test/downloads/alsa-destdir/usr/lib/"
# export CFLAGS="-I/home/test/downloads/alsa-lib-1.0.24.1/include/"
# export LIBS=""
# ./configure --target=arm-linux --host=arm-linux --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --disable-xmlto \
--without-curses --with-alsa-inc-prefix=/home/test/downloads/alsa-destdir/usr/include/ --disable-nls --disable-alsamixer
# make

After copying the alsa-destdir - folder to my target, everything is in its place and I can run mplayer. Only problem on the arm-target is:

# /usr/local/sbin/mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=0.0 /mnt/song.mp3 o alsa
MPlayer 1.0rc4-4.3.5 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team

Playing /mnt/song.mp3.
Audio only file format detected.
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 16000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm.c:2175:(snd_pcm_open_conf) symbol _snd_pcm_hw_open is not defined inside [builtin]
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: No such device or address
Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa:device=hw=0.0'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Exiting... (End of file)
[root at mpTRI_jingle-player_schloemer00000001 ~]#

Playing around with "-ao alsa<...>" did not work out in any way.

What could I be doing wrong? Why won't MPlayer run with alsa? mpg123 works fine.

Best regards,
Dennis