[MPlayer-users] Most annoying long-standing bugs in Mplayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Mar 23 21:22:39 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 03:07:39PM +0100, Karel Choros wrote:
> - using pulseaudio, when pausing and then resuming with SPACE key, the film
> doesn't always restart - I have to press arrow left then arrow right to
> resume playing.

That sounds like a really old pulseaudio bug. There's a workaround for
that in MPlayer though (which does cause really annoying desync after unpause
though). I have a suspicion that you are using really old versions of
both MPlayer and pulseaudio, though I admit that doesn't quite match
what you say at the end.
Unless it's a new pulseaudio bug, wouldn't be that surprising.
On the other hand I use Ubuntu 10.10 and have never experienced the issue.

> - the G  & Y subtitle jump keys have changed their behaviour from previous /
> next subtitle to something like "add 1213 ms to the subdelay and substract
> 1234 from the subdelay"

Hm, if you can find out when it changed it might help.
But I think almost nobody knew that and how they were supposed to work,
so they simply haven't been tested in a looong time.

> Does anybody else have these problems? Why they aren't being fixed?

I guess that should clarify that it is because
1) "Nobody" seems to have the issue
2) None of the responsible developers even knew the feature existed,
   which makes it hard to fix