[MPlayer-users] fb_dev: flickering output

Alexander Stein alexander.stein at systec-electronic.com
Wed Mar 23 08:26:25 CET 2011

On Wednesday 23 March 2011, 08:08:56 Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On 22 Mar 2011, at 21:11, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> > Alexander Stein <alexander.stein <at> systec-electronic.com> writes:
> >> I tried rc4 and noticed a slight flicking in the output. Especially if i
> >> fill the framebuffer using cat /dev/urandom > /dev/fb0.
> >> Using rc2 there is no such flickering. I tried to bisect the problem,
> >> but I have problem building mplayer.
> >
> > svn co -r {2010-09-27} svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/mplayer/trunk mplayer
> > cd mplayer
> > svn up --ignore-externals -r {2010-09-27} libavutil/ libavformat/
> > libavcodec/ libavcore/ libpostproc/ libdvdread4/ libdvdnav/
> > ./configure && make
> > make distclean
> > svn up --ignore-externals -r {2009-12-31}
> > svn up --ignore-externals -r {2009-12-31} libavutil/ libavformat/
> > libavcodec/ libpostproc/ libdvdread4/ libdvdnav/
> > ./configure && make
>
> It should be possible to just run SVN up on libvo/vo_fbdev.c, the changes
> made to it should be fairly independent (and there should be really few,
> too). However I don't see what flickering when using "cat" should have to
> do with MPlayer...

cat doesn't relate to the flickering using MPlayer. I just use it to fill the
framebuffer wirh random data, so the flickering is best seen. I can use
MPlayer to display a camera picture. But the mplayer picture shown afterwards,
scaled down to 25% of the screen size (320x240 -> 160x120), stills looks
strange. It looks like it moves 1 pixel to the left and right.
If the framebuffer is filled with random data, the effect is much stronger.

Alexander