[MPlayer-users] Bug: Poor quality decoding of ac3 audio

Wed Mar 2 20:07:00 CET 2011

Hi Rashkae!

 On 2011.03.02 at 13:42:33 -0500, Rashkae wrote next:

> Unfortunately, that did not work (assuming you mean floatle).
> However, on further testing, the noise is introduced by the a52
> downmixing.
>
> If I output to wav with -channels 6, the audio sounds clean.  I can
> then downmix that wav file with mplayer to 2 channels without
> trouble.

I didn't check this sample, but some ac3 streams which have too loud
sounds can get cracking and other artifacts when downmixing due to some
overflows, the solution is to use
-channels 6 -af volume=-10,pan=.. (downmixing string)
or -channels 6 -af volume=-10,hrtf if you are downmixing for headphones.

--

Vladimir