[MPlayer-users] Strange playback issues with Rescue Rangers

Mike Castle dalgoda+mplayer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 04:40:48 CEST 2011

I'm not sure if this is an mplayer issues or a dvdnav issue as I have
this same problem with both mplayer and xine.

Mplayer version is SVN-r33608-4.5.3.

This problem is happening with Chip 'n' Dale's Rescue Rangers Vol 2,
Disc 1.  The first volume did not display the following problem, but
of course this being Disney, who know what kind of strange stuff they
have going on.  It plays fine on my DVD player (unfortunately that's
not where I want to watch the darn thing).

If I try to play a track directly, with something like:

mplayer dvdnav://3
or
xine dvd:/media/cdrom/3

Then the resulting image is all blocky, constantly toggles back and
forth between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios.  In short, unwatchable.

But, if I do use either xine or mplayer to navigate the menu to the
same track, it plays correctly.

Is this something wrong with the dvd vm?  The disc purposefully
playing tricks on folks like setting some value inside the vm that is
required later?  Some bug shared between mplayer and xine?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
mrc