[MPlayer-users] Mplayer compilation errata

Nick Andrew nick at nick-andrew.net
Mon Aug 29 01:37:15 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 11:14:20PM +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 10:08:04AM +1000, Nick Andrew wrote:
> > I modified configure to do this. Actually it has to use svn to do the checkout,
> > because (a) there's no git repository of libdvdread4 / libdvdnav that I know
> > of,
>
> Sure there is, but it's a mess to use for this purpose (and I don't know
> if it gets updated automatically):
> git://git.mplayerhq.hu/dvdnav

Ok, it's not listed on the download page at http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
but then again neither is the git repo; I found that from the 2011-04-25 blog
entry at http://git.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

dvdnav doesn't look updated automatically (March 2011 vs June 2011).

> > and (b) if I use git-svn to make a git one it also needs an Authors file,
> > which I don't have.
>
> Huh, what?
> git svn init svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/dvdnav/trunk/libdvdnav/src
> git svn fetch
> works just fine for me with no such thing.

Ah, I have an svn.authorsfile configured in $HOME/.gitconfig and if
a commit is seen with an unlisted name then git-svn will abort.

> > mplayer builds OK now after reconfiguring. Here's the patch to configure:
>
> The git checkout isn't really officially supported.

Then why does it exist?

> Also, with your patch those checkouts will go stale.
> Both together mean that I don't think this is a good idea.

This is no different to the git clone of ffmpeg in the previous
paragraph of 'configure'. I see it's also got code to automate
pull if 'mp_auto_pull' exists, so how about I add equivalent code
for libdvdnav and libdvdread4 ?

> However MPlayer shouldn't just silently fail if dvdnav/dvdread
> is missing, it should either just switch to trying the external
> versions or abort.

Yes, and a note in README telling how to get the source.

Nick.
--
PGP Key ID = 0x418487E7                      http://www.nick-andrew.net/
PGP Key fingerprint = B3ED 6894 8E49 1770 C24A  67E3 6266 6EB9 4184 87E7