[MPlayer-users] autodetect not working properly when configuring a static build

David Wadler dwadler at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 23:59:47 CEST 2011

I have tried two different machines (both CentOS), but am still having
problems getting a static build of mplayer. I have successfully built a
static version of ffmpeg with a good number of external libraries (e.g.
x264, xvid, etc.) statically linked to it. On the same machine, when I run
"configure --enable-static" for mplayer, it fails to autodetect many of
these libraries. I looked at config.log and see that failures in a variety
of places have resulted from undefined references to pow, log2f, and the
like. This is very confusing because I can see clearly that the cc line
above in the log file explicitly includes "-lm" -- a link to the math
library. Moreover, some of these autodetect compile tests I've been able to
successfully execute from the command line.

Unfortunately, if I explicitly enable other libraries, make fails. For what
it's worth, I can build a dynamically linked version of mplayer. "configure"
and "make" -- it just works. As I mentioned above, I've successully built
ffmpeg with static links to external libraries. I've confirmed the libraries
for the particular files are present. I've even tried copying them to a
separate libs dir and adding an LDFLAG. Nothing seems to work.

Has anyone had luck building a static mplayer recently?

Thanks,
David