[MPlayer-users] -cache problems ( 'Cache not filling' OR 'Cache not responding!' errors)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Aug 10 21:38:42 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:01:09PM -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Reimar Döffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 11:38:33AM -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> >> OK, so are you saying that there was no change in behavior with
> >> respect to caching between the old(er) version of mplayer that I was
> >> using, and the new version, other than these messages?  Seems odd that
> >> I don't get the stuttering with the older version, but with the newer
> >> version.
> >
> > Do you maybe get a "Invalid seek to negative position ffffffffffffffff!"
> > message at the start?
> > I think those might have completely broken -cache-min and seem to have
> > disappeared lately again, so if that happens you might want to update.
>
> No, I don't think I was ever seeing that type of message.  However,
> now that I knew which column in the output corresponded to the cache
> fill, I noticed that it was nearly always at 50%.  The other messages
> that I was seeing only occurred when first starting mplayer (in the
> initial output).  When I have some time, I'll try updating to the
> latest subversion snapshot to see if the behavior is any different.

If not, and if you see the cache amount falling way down far below
cache-min despite having a large cache that probably means the MPlayer
cache has trouble with the file.
This happens most with mov/mp4 files where it has to read the index
all the way at the end, and then has to move again to the beginning to start
playing. If it happens with other files I'd be interested to hear about
it since it's probably a bug and fixable.