[MPlayer-users] mplayer and multicast: Unknown NAL code: 18

jacopo mondi j.mondi at voltaelectronics.com
Wed Aug 10 18:15:02 CEST 2011

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:33:31 +0000 (UTC)
Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> jacopo mondi <j.mondi <at> voltaelectronics.com> writes:
>
> > Mplayer is able to negotiate multicast streaming via rtsp commands
> > (simply call rtsp://unicast_ip:port/multicast/trackn and multicast
> > stream will be displayed by mplayer).
>
> You can also try ffmpeg://rtsp://unicast_ip:port/multicast/trackn
>
> > [h264 @ 0xeccca0]Unknown NAL code: 18 (7 bits)
> > V:   XX.X 3722/3722 15%  2%  0.0% 0 0
> >
> > where XX.X is an increasing number. Everything is fine, until the
> > displayed number is >=1, when the number becomes a decimal number <
> > 1 (eg 0.6) the stream stops being displayed.
>
> While I do not understand this sentence, please understand that all
> help requests on this list require that you post complete, uncut
> output of MPlayer. In your case, it probably does make sense to
> really cut, but you cut too much;-)

All the output I get is in that form, the only varying thing is the
XX.X number (current time, as you said).
Sometimes the time indicator stops increasing and
restart from 0, but, from this point on, never gets past 1.

[h264 @ 0xeccca0]Unknown NAL code: 18 (7 bits)
V:   0.3 3722/3722 15%  2%  0.0% 0 0

[h264 @ 0xeccca0]Unknown NAL code: 18 (7 bits)
V:   0.4 3722/3722 15%  2%  0.0% 0 0

[h264 @ 0xeccca0]Unknown NAL code: 18 (7 bits)
V:   0.5 3722/3722 15%  2%  0.0% 0 0

then restart from 0 when 0.9 is reached.

From this point on, the video output is a complete mess..

I'm sorry, but I get a very very long list of those sentences, so I
took just a couple a them, not all the 2k line long output..

> The two lines you posted are (completely) unrelated: The first is a
> warning from the decoder (that you may disable), the second line is
> the status line that shows the current time of the video stream (if
> you do not receive audio).

I disabled the "B2 frame" option in ACTi videoserver, and the warnings
from the decoder disappeared (and now I see the time counter increasing
without restarting from 0).Everything is now working (not done much
testing yet, but is surely better then before).

I must suppose that mplayer is unable to understand B2 frame header,
while the same stream works fine with other players (vlc). It's not too
bad for us, we can safely disable this option, maybe is some ACTi
proprietary header.

> Carl Eugen

Thank you for your kind reply