[MPlayer-users] mplayer from FreeBSD ports fails to build/compile

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 10 18:12:02 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Tom Evans <tevans.uk <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> ./configure --extra-libs=-L/usr/local/lib \
>>   --extra-cflags=-I/usr/local/include --as=/usr/local/bin/as
>> dies with 'Error: Your binutils version is too old and not supported'
>> $ > # /usr/local/bin/as --version|head -n 1
>> GNU assembler (GNU Binutils) 2.21.1
>
> I believe Reimar explained that you have to replace /usr/bin/as by a symlink if
> you do not want to use the system compiler.

You mean if you *do* want to use the system compiler. Hmm.

That would cause different issues I feel, and would be destroyed by
reinstalling world. I don't mind having to use a different
compiler/toolchain for packages that are more GNU/Linux orientated,
but I'd draw the line at modifying the world toolchain.

Eventually we will get to the point where FreeBSD drops gcc/binutils
entirely for clang/llvm/elftools.

Still, interesting.

Cheers

Tom