[MPlayer-users] Was mplayer better in 2006 ???

Emmanuel Anne emmanuel.anne at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 17:17:13 CEST 2011

Yeah I know, but if I send the whole output of -v while playing a stream, I
will spam it, really, because it's very long !
Anyway if I skip the detection part and get to the main part, you get

version from 2006 :
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
INFO: libavcodec init OK!
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
Opening audio decoder: [faad] AAC (MPEG2/4 Advanced Audio Coding)
dec_audio: Allocating 4608 bytes for input buffer.
dec_audio: Allocating 49152 + 65536 = 114688 bytes for output buffer.
FAAD: Decoder init done (4608Bytes)!
FAAD: Negotiated samplerate: 48000Hz  channels: 2
FAAD: compressed input bitrate missing, assuming 128kbit/s!
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/8.33% (ratio: 16000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [faad] afm: faad (FAAD AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio)
decoder)

And the 2011 version :
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
[h264 @ 0xdcd260]Unsupported bit depth: 0
INFO: libavcodec init OK!
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
dec_audio: Allocating 192000 + 65536 = 257536 bytes for output buffer.
FFmpeg's libavcodec audio codec
[aac @ 0xdcd260]Unsupported bit depth: 0
INFO: libavcodec "aac" init OK!
lavc_audio: error

After that you get tons of output like :
AAC SYNC AFTER 390 bytes

AAC_PROBE: 6144 bytes
AUDIO PAYLOAD: f9 58 80 30
AUDIO PAYLOAD: 58 80 30 ff
AUDIO PAYLOAD: 80 30 ff fc
but it can never decode the audio correctly anyway.
You get the same thing for hd and low bitrate h264 streams.

I finally found a problem with the 2006 version, it can't seem to decode
some hd channels from the dvb card, like the 2011 version it thinks it's an
mpeg2 stream and gets stuck, and -demuxer lavf doesn't help it.
The 2011 version is helped by -demuxer lavf (you get a picture), but no
sound.

If you want the whole output, I'll attach a file !

2011/8/8 Nico Sabbi <nicola.sabbi at poste.it>

> Emmanuel Anne ha scritto:
>
>  Hi !
>>
>> Maybe this subject has been discussed before, I didn't take the time to
>> browse all the archives here.
>> Anyway here is the problem : maybe you heard about the freebox in France,
>> it
>> broadcasts some hd streams, and some "low bitrate" h264 streams.
>> With current mplayer version and default configuration (no special command
>> line options), if you try to read one of these streams, you'll either get
>> nothing, a crash, or no sound at all.
>> Adding -demuxer lavf can help, but it makes the thing quite unstable and
>> seems to add some problems.
>> vlc has been able to play these streams without problem for ages.
>>
>> Now I happen to have an old mplayer version here because I update an old
>> mac
>> mini to be useful nowdays, and there is a version of mplayer from 2006 in
>> it. It uses an internal libfaad2 version, 2.1 beta apparently.
>> Anyway when using this very old version with default configuration and
>> special option on the command line, all these streams play fine !
>> Quite a shocking discovery for me. I'll probably have to use this old
>> version for the tv recording box now...
>> Ok, I'll admit it displays a few warnings on the console like :
>> [h264 @ 0xd800f0]MBAFF + spatial direct mode is not implemented
>> but they are harmless and everything is fine except that.
>>
>> I post this here in case you didn't know, and in case you have an idea to
>> make the recent mplayer versions usable in this kind of situation...
>>
>> An example of one of these hd streams :
>>   VIDEO H264(pid=68) AUDIO AAC(pid=69) NO SUBS (yet)!  PROGRAM N. -3778
>> low bitrate :
>> VIDEO H264(pid=68) AUDIO AAC(pid=80) NO SUBS (yet)!  PROGRAM N. 1646
>>
>> I can post more details if you need them !
>>

> add -v if you want some more help.

my zfs-fuse git repository :
http://rainemu.swishparty.co.uk/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=zfs;a=summary