[MPlayer-users] Strange behaviour of latest mplayer when seeking

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Apr 9 16:33:39 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 05:07:31PM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
>  On 2011.04.08 at 00:52:53 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote next:
>
> > > I updated mplayer to one of later builds, r33183. It has two strange
> > > strange things about it. First is, spitting
> > > [VD_FFMPEG] DRI failure.
> >
> > Hm, I suspect you have enabled multi-threaded decoding.
> > That is a side-effect, we probably should just disable DR from the
> > start in those cases.
>
> Mhm. Actually I had lavdopts threads=2 option since ages in config, as it was
> rumored it helps h264 decoding.

If you have more than one core/CPU it now _definitely_ helps.
Though number cores/CPUs + 1 probably is a better value.
Previously it would only help with some H.264 streams.
The disadvantage is that is causes issues with DR,
which also means a small slowdown on one core/CPU systems
(in addition to the multithreading overhead in general).