[MPlayer-users] Weird subtitle displayed incorrectly by mplayer

Krzysztof Duchnowski amidk75 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 18:36:02 CEST 2010

On 22.09.2010 15:10, Horváth Ágoston János wrote:

>>> I'm running mplayer r32161 from SVN. The attached subtitle file
>>> displays incorrectly when used; instead of just the text, it displays
>>> each whole line on the screen.
>>> The same file works well with vlc.
>>
>> I can't reproduce the issue. Can you try latest SVN? Are you using the
>> -ass switch? Can you provide a screenshot anyway?
>
> Hmm. It was muxed into an .mkv, so I did not add any arguments.
> This '-ass' argument was not known to me. Why is there a specific flag
> for a specific type of subtitle? I'd have never expected that, all the
> subtitles worked with '-sub' so far.

Because *-ass* switch needs libass library and libass developement files
if you compile MPlayer yourself and it isn't installed by default by
most distribution.
Libass is thridparty optional software which in most cases you must
compile yourself to have it in the system.
If you have it and you have MPlayer compiled with it's support then you
could use it to render all subtitles too. But it is optional - very
optional.

--
Krzysztof 'DK75' Duchnowski
GetFirefox - http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/