[MPlayer-users] CoreAVC with mplayer

Ken Bass daytooner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 17:04:00 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Ken Bass <daytooner <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Also, the
> > mplayer codec status page (
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/codecs-status.html),
> > says that CoreAVC is supported.
>
> It is supported for Windows builds (for other OS, I fear you will have to
> search
> for support wherever you get the needed patch from).
>
> Carl Eugen

I figured that would be the case.

I did get the core-for-linux patch code, and rebuilt the latest mplayer
snapshot (albeit with some issues - but that for another post), But
unfortunately, that didn't work. Although the it appears to be accessing the
CoreAVCDecoder codec, I get no picture displayed. And after snooping around
their code, it seemed that no frames were being returned from the codec.

So, if anyone here has ever gotten this to work, or even tried to, I would
greatly appreciate hearing from you. I've just about given up on this, and
am ready to just go out and get a new computer.

Barring that for the time being, is it feasible to re-encode the video files
to optimize them for playing on a slower PC? Preferably without too much
loss of quality. Some HD videos (720p mostly) I can play well, and with HD
quality. But for most (720p and especially 1080p) the video lags the audio,
and eventually the audio becomes  choppy. I am guessing that changing the
bit rate would help, but I am only guessing. Any suggestions?

As always, thanks for the help.

ken