[MPlayer-users] -demuxer lavf vs. -demuxer mov (was: Unable to play Apple ProRes 422 sample)

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Wed Sep 15 14:28:01 CEST 2010

Hi Carl,

* Carl Eugen Hoyos on Monday, September 13, 2010 at 21:51:50 +0000
> Christian Ebert <blacktrash <at> gmx.net> writes:
>> Very strange: I just stumbled upon a case where -demuxer mov
>> helps here: when convert PAL dvvideo (from Final Cut) to flv;
>> with -demuxer lavf I get loads of skipped frames.
>
> Could you upload a sample?

Strictly speaking this is a mencoder question/issue. Do you still
want me to upload in spite of mencoder being, well, sort of
unmaintained?

Further diagnostics (sorry, pressed for time atm):

Just playing the dv file with mplayer -demuxer lavf works fine.

Encoding the video only to h264 with
mencoder -demuxer lavf -nosound -ovc x264 ...
also gives no dropped frames.

I can avoid dropping frames with
mencoder -mc 0 -noskip -demuxer lavf ...
of course. And the results seem ok, even though the status output
twitches constantly.

With
mencoder -demuxer mov ...
2 frames at the beginning are dropped. That's it.

\black\trash movie           _COWBOY  CANOE  COMA_
            Ein deutscher Western/A German Western

--->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc.php