[MPlayer-users] playing a rtsp stream succeeds, -dumpstream results in an empty file

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Sep 9 12:25:53 CEST 2010

Ilja Sekler <ilja_sekler_ <at> gmx.de> writes:

> > You are right, that is the difference (and iirc, FFmpeg does not
> > support rtsp-over-tcp).
>
> Any chance for this feature to be added in near future?

Consider opening a feature request on roundup.ffmpeg.org

> > Apart from fixing your network connection
>
> "fixed" temporarily by shutting down all servers and setting the
> computer as exposed host in the router. Unfortunately, ffmpeg (I went
> back to the build with libfaac) aborts a few seconds later:

True, I guess this happens on the first receiving problem, if you use another
container (nut), the so-far-recorded file is at least playable. You could also
try the various patches attached to roundup issue 807 and its duplicates.

What does work (I tested 410 seconds), is to use ffmpeg -vn -acodec copy
out.aac, but I was not successful to record video.

Both dumpvideo and dumpaudio do not work for this stream, I have no idea why...

Note that it should be no problem to choose parameters for re-encoding with
ffmpeg to still get a perfect result.

Carl Eugen