[MPlayer-users] playing a rtsp stream succeeds, -dumpstream results in an empty file

Ilja Sekler ilja_sekler_ at gmx.de
Wed Sep 8 14:35:53 CEST 2010

On 07.09.2010 21:35, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 07:58:13PM +0200, Ilja Sekler wrote:
>
>> Is -dumpstream supposed to not work with LIVE555?
>
> No, -dumpstream can not work with rtsp since it is a protocol that
> does not have a single stream but completely separate audio and
> video streams that are never mixed together. Thus you can only
> capture it by muxing them together with e.g. mencoder.

Oh, I see, thanks. Unfortunately, mencoder doesn't like '-oac copy' for

<rtsp://ondemand.quicktime.zdf.newmedia.nacamar.net/zdf/data/quicktime/3sat/09/10/091019_ueberschallflieger_hitec_h.mp4>

("Audio format 0x6134706d is incompatible with '-oac copy', please try
'-oac pcm' instead or use '-fafmttag' to override it."). Is there a
trick to avoid re-encoding audio, as the sound quality becomes really
bad? Cheating with -fafmttag doesn't seem to give usable results.

--
Regards

Ilja