[MPlayer-users] Cache not filling! with usb fm tuner

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Sep 6 21:53:16 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 11:33:48PM +0400, Максим Чверткин wrote:
> Im trying to capture and write to file wav stream from my SiLabs usb fm tuner. According to http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/video4linux/si470x.txt (Audio Listing section) i do:
>
> mplayer -radio adevice=hw=1.0:arate=96000 -rawaudio rate=96000 radio://89.5/capture -nocache -ao pcm:file=mgps.wav
>
> Output file called "mgps.wav" seems to be good. It plays without any comments in any player that I have. But I get strange "Cache not filling!" every few seconds after running mplayer. I tried to use "-cache" with variable values (from 100 to 10000) instead of "-nocache" but nothing changes.

If there's no problem you don't have to worry.
The message is mostly for debug purposes, e.g. if the cache process crashed.
It only means that MPlayer is waiting a long time (> 100 ms) for more data to come in.
If you get it a lot it might cause things like A-V sync, unnecessarily high
CPU usage and things like that, but as said unless you see an actual issue
you don't have to worry about it.
I can't see why/how that message could appear with -nocache though...