[MPlayer-users] mencoder h264 encoding and Android telephones

Nix niks1024 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 13:28:53 CEST 2010

On 2010.10.23. 13:01, Malte Gell wrote:
> I have a HTC Desire with Android 2.2 and used the following mencoder command
> to create an MPEG4 video. But the mobile phone cannot play it. So I wonder
> now, what the correct h264 options is to create a MPEG4 video playable on
> Android devices.
Short answer: take a look at Android G1 setting at
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tYGTjNd0dG6P_A9z-YkFzFg&output=html
(note that this is only a reference and you should try, for example,
higher resolutions as well).

Long answer:
See this:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=be98ea03684ad50603b133033df2acf8&p=1401171#post1401171
If possible try enforcing a profile and level (not sure if mencoder
allows that) but it's only a safety check, what's important is that your
setting conform to the the profile and level supported by your hardware.
General information can be found in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels (for profile
information scroll up though there's nothing particularly interesting
there apart from the fact that baseline doesn't support B-frames and you
will suffer from that).