[MPlayer-users] option to avoid "Audio: no sound"?

Nix niks1024 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 13:46:45 CEST 2010

On 2010.10.22. 09:02, Oliver Seitz wrote:
> There are systems with working sound, there are systems with buggy
> sound, there are systems with detachable or network-based and
> therefore only temporarily working sound, and there are systems that
> can't play sound at all.
>
> Someone asked for a way to make mplayer do certain things in each of
> those cases, and the only answer was "turn your system into a TYPE 1
> machine".
Could you please check your facts before hurfing at me? Just for your
information one of the reasons why PulseAudio was and still is hated is
because it was designed with such special use cases in mind, though I
think they aren't yet done with fully implementing and polishing network
sound and preferred output list is currently available only with Phonon
(I might be wrong on the last one, mind you).
> So in video decoding, there are means to make mplayer accept bugs.
> What's the problem if it does this also in a controlled way for bugs
> in OS setup?
A -> B => X->Z - my maths teacher would probably yell at you. All in all
so much mailing just because MPlayer's default behaviour should be
changed to suit _one_ broken system is slightly upsetting especially
when it can be probably easily fixed at the source.
Cheers,
nix