[MPlayer-users] option to avoid "Audio: no sound"?

Frederik Eaton frederik at ofb.net
Sat Oct 16 21:07:43 CEST 2010

Dear MPlayer Users,

Sometimes I start MPlayer and for whatever reason audio is not functional. This
condition might arise because MPlayer couldn't open /dev/dsp, for instance.
MPlayer opens a window and starts playing video, but after a few minutes I
realize that there is no audio, and when I go back to the terminal from which I
started MPlayer there is a line in the middle of a lot of output saying:

Audio: no sound

Is there a configuration option I can set which will cause MPlayer to quit in
this situation, rather than playing the video without the sound? I would much
prefer it to quit. If I really want it to play video without sound, I can always
pass "-ao null".

Thank you,

Frederik Eaton