[MPlayer-users] Strange timecode behavior with FLAC files

Ilja Sekler ilja_sekler_ at gmx.de
Wed Nov 24 23:46:13 CET 2010

On 13.05.2010 11:01, Daniel Dawson wrote:

> I've noticed that MPlayer's idea of the current time in FLAC files is
> strange. It tends to be inaccurate, at least for me. What I have
> observed:
>
> * The timecode starts out stuck at some non-zero value and "flickers"
>   around very close to it. Once the playback gets to that time, the
>   timecode starts moving forward in almost a normal way. If I seek back
>   to the beginning, it does the same thing over again.

This issue sours the usage of MPlayer for FLAC since quite a long time,
but it wasn't that bad before. The initial timecode value was usually
zero, flickering around for about 10 seconds, when it started to work
normally. Now (r32642) this value is usually between 30 and 50 seconds.

Interestingly enough, FFplay shows the correct timecode from the very
beginning, but is incapable of seeking. It hangs on every attempt to
seek in FLAC files during playback or using -ss option.

> To be fair, I see problems with FLAC in other applications. For
> instance, I'm only getting mono output in XMMS2. Another application
> replaces small chunks of audio with bursts of noise.

At least Totem with gstreamer backend has no problems with FLAC so far.

--
Regards

Ilja