[MPlayer-users] Message for Arpi (does he read this list?)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Nov 20 11:30:38 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 04:40:07AM -0500, Rashkae wrote:

> Multi-threading lives on!
>
> I've been compiling Mplayer with ffmpeg-mt, and so far, find the
> experience flawless.  You're right, it *is* very useful for HD
> playback.

That messages referred to making the "core" multithreaded, not
"just" the decoders. In particular it would mean running filters
on a seperate core from decoders.
This is harder to implement in a way that is optional and thus
more likely to have a significant negative performance impact
on single-core computers (though it can be of an advantage on
those in some cases as well), which I think was (one of?) the
reasons it was rejected.

> I don't know how many bugs are left that need fixing, but I think it
> would be nice if Mplayer started packaging that as an official
> downloading option.

There's ongoing work on integrating it into main FFmpeg, which
will be the point where it will be officially supported by MPlayer.
Bugs themselves aren't so much the issue as that I think some
bugs are needlessly hard to fix because the ffmpeg-mt API is
hard to use for essentially no good reason (IMHO).