[MPlayer-users] Transcoding from one aspect ratio to another

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org
Fri Nov 5 00:55:35 CET 2010

On 11/4/2010 5:06 PM, Nix wrote:
> On 2010.11.04. 23:50, Rolf Ernst wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Nix<niks1024 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> On 2010.11.04. 03:24, Rolf Ernst wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, I'd say you would probably be best served just using YAMF but I
>>> looked
>>> at the code and here is what it does when multiplexing to matroska:
>>>
>>> It passes the --aspect-ratio parameter to  Matrosdka and here is how it
>>> calculates it (sorry for confusing you beforehand but I hadn't
>>> looked at the
>>> code in a long time):
>>>
>>>                  double origAspect = (double)
>>> cropData.getTotalWidth() /
>>> (double) cropData.getTotalHeight() /
>>> runDef.getTechInfo().getVideoAspect();
>>>                  double newAspect = (double)
>>> cropData.getCroppedWidth() /
>>> (double) cropData.getCroppedHeight();
>>>                  double aspectRatio = (newAspect / origAspect);
> So the code does basically the same calculations what I do with pen
> and paper to find the correct DAR only instead of PAR(?) change factor
> I prefer to find the new DAR. But that still doesn't explain how you
> plan to solve original problem as you're expected to *change* DAR
> without losing information or distorting the image which is not
> something you can magically fix by using anamorphic video.
> Regards,
> nix

I guess I really don't understand what it is that you are trying to
achieve. Zoom in? I can tell you how to do that, too. Otherwise it is
unclear to me where you are headed.

In the good old days when we all had 4:3 TVs what they did is take the
widescreen move and zoom in and pan around which worked most of the time
except when the actors were talking to each other from opposing sides of
the screen which then looked a bit funny. It almost sounds like yu want
to do panning?

--
/re

"My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea"

Tommy Douglass