[MPlayer-users] Cannot read an avi file (SIPP format?)

Guillaume lomig42 at gmail.com
Tue May 25 11:02:45 CEST 2010

Hello list,

I have an avi file, created by a DVR, the samsung SHR-6040 if it
meaningful for some of you.

This file cannot be read by mplayer. I end up with the message:
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x50504953.

I do not care about the audio in this instance. mplayer -identify
gives me this result:

ID_VIDEO_ID=0
[aviheader] Video stream found, -vid 0
VIDEO: [SIPP] 352x288 24bpp 29.958 fps 700.6 kbps (85.5 kbyte/s)
ID_FILENAME=./backup.avi
ID_DEMUXER=avi
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=SIPP
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=700608
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=352
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=288
ID_VIDEO_FPS=29.958
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
ID_LENGTH=6322.00
ID_SEEKABLE=1
ID_CHAPTERS=0
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x50504953.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!

I am at the end of my knowledge. I found no documentation about this
SIPP format, all other way I tried basically gave me the same error
(cannot play SIPP). Looking at the file itself it looks OK to me... I
am really stuck here.

I anybody had a trail for me to follow it would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Guillaume