[MPlayer-users] Uoti nonsense, and my parting words

Stanislav Maslovski stanislav.maslovski at gmail.com
Fri May 21 10:59:25 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 10:51:43AM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> On 5/20/10, ubitux <ubitux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 02:04:43PM -0400, Dave P wrote:
> >> I hate to see RC go.  His advice over the years was always helpful.
> >> Uoti, on the other hand, has been mostly disruptive.  I vote for GIT
> >> to disappear and RC to come back.
> >>
> >> Just my 2 cents,
> >
> > Wtf does this mean? I'm really happy as a user and as an occasionnal
> > contributor to have access to the mplayer-git repository which contain a
> > lot of things that svn one hasn't. Also, Uoti was one of the few
> > developpers who have reviewed my stuff and helped me improving it.
>
> You are the first person to acknowledge having write access to Uoti's
> own MPlayer fork.
> It also takes time to see his dark side and it have nothing to do with
> his coding skills.

This is not a right place for discussions on human psyhology, but I
think that if you are a finn and doing something serious in software,
then you are subconsciously under certain pressure because of such
examples as Linus.

My experience also tells me that finns care about matters related with
what we call "personal pride" more than some other nations.

Returning back to technical side, I think that someone should probably
invest his/her time into reviewing the changes in Uoti's git tree and
backporting them into SVN. Uoti seems to actively track down the
patches sent to mplayer-dev list and apply them when relevant. Someone
from the SVN side should probably do the same, because it is unlikely
then the two branches will merge in foreseeable future.

--
Stanislav