[MPlayer-users] movie from single png image

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Wed May 19 11:34:14 CEST 2010

>> I was a bit confused that symlinks don't seem to work, but I had no
>> problem in using hard links.
>
> Really? That's odd, because I've done this sort of thing with symlinks
> myself. Is it a problem generating the links or getting mencoder to use
> them?

It was no problem to generate the links, but mencoder didn't seem to see
them as files. I had not thousands of links, there were several pictures,
some 50 or so links each, with real jpeg files in between.

> Using hard links is potentially problematic because the number of links
> to a single file is limited due to the size of the link count field in
> an inode (16 bits in EXT2,3,4).

Oh, 16 bit would mean 65000 links is the maximum...? No problem for me
then as I try not to have more than 10000 or so files per directory. Most
file systems get terribly slow with more files.

>> Question to the experts: How can symlinks be used?
>
> Not an MPlayer expert, but I know a bit about Linux.

Thanks :-)

Greets,
Kiste