[MPlayer-users] Compiling SVN; was: Jerky 1080p h264 playback

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Sun May 16 23:07:11 CEST 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 20:32 +0200, Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski wrote:
> > MPlayer needs quite a few headers that are not "basic". The configure
> > output gives little information about which of the things checked for
> > are really required or useful at all (some do more harm than good);
>
> You forgot to mention that your git repo is a remedy (sorry, couldn't
> resist).

You seem to be hostile towards the git repo for reasons that are
unrelated to how well it works. It is likely to work better than svn for
the majority of users, and VDPAU is one area where the git code is
particularly far ahead of svn. Mentioning it as a possible remody for
VDPAU problems is something you should also do if you really want to
help users. I take it you'd prefer the users continue to suffer from
their problems rather than hear of solutions involving the use of the
git repo.

(And no the git repo is currently not a remedy for finding and
installing the required external headers and tools - the behavior
doesn't differ much from svn in that area.)

> on HP-UX 11.00 running on a B132L). The bottom line: you don't need to be
> a software engineer, you just need to be more self-reliant and try. It
> helps a lot.

You can succeed in building MPlayer without being a software engineer.
However you clearly don't understand how many potential issues there are
and how much work finding out everything needed can take if you start
from scratch.