[MPlayer-users] Jerky 1080p h264 playback

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun May 16 21:16:18 CEST 2010

Muzer <muzerakascooby <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to watch Avatar (a rip from the BD that I made myself with
> makemkv) with mplayer. I have added a load of options to try to improve
> the playback quality, as it was extremely jerky and stuttering before -
> now it's watchable, but still not perfect.
>
> The command-line I use is:
>
> mplayer title00.mkv -channels 6 -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau -lavdopts
> threads=3:skiploopfilter=all:fast

ff*vdpau do not "listen" to threads, skiploopfilter and fast, only skipframe has
an effect.

Note that feature set A is fast enough for any BR material, and all Nvidia
hardware (at least including GT220) cannot play 1080p50, so for H264, the
feature set should not make any difference for real world samples (except that
feature set B fails completely for some).

If you are using a 24Hz TV and a 1080p24 sample, MPlayer svn will probably not
work correctly, everything else (fps > Hz, I just tested 50fps on 60Hz for
several hours) is expected to work, bug reports are welcome.
Don't forget to also run qvdpautest, if it shows absurdly low values for H264
(<30fps), you should post a bugreport on nvnews.net.

Please post complete, uncut output of latest svn, Carl Eugen