[MPlayer-users] Jerky 1080p h264 playback

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Sun May 16 20:50:25 CEST 2010

On Sun, 16 May 2010 17:10:09 +0100
"Phil Rhodes" <phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> Creating a build environment sufficient to compile mplayer is  often
> glossed over as trivial, which is very much not the case,

MPlayer has far fewer build requirements than most other
(graphical) software.  The minimal ability to compile some programs from
source is still one of the base skills needed by anyone who uses Unix.
If you just select "X11 development" when installing your system (or
afterwords) you'll get everything you need to compile mplayer and most
other software.  If you don't, well, I don't remember even the simplest
of questions about compiling MPlayer going unanswered on this mailing
list.

> especially on platforms other than Linux.

On non-open source platforms (other than Linux, BSD, OpenSolaris, et
al.) it is somewhat more difficult to compile software.  It's really
only on Windows where it's notably difficult, though.

> * Yes, I have direct experience of doing this on several operating
> systems. * No, claiming it's easy will not make it easy

Conversely, the fact _you_ have some special disability which makes it
particularly difficult for you to follow instructions and compile
software does not make it less easy for the rest of the world, no
matter how many times you repeat it. No question, I've seen probably
hundreds of people who have never compiled software before, and whose
system are not setup to do so, go through the process without trouble
with perhaps two lines of instruction from someone on this list...

And BTW, none of us here is responsible for "Linux".  Go complain to
your distro maker that compiling software is too hard.  I know that at
least Slackware automatically includes headers with every binary package
you install, saving users the effort.

--
Ha. I'm the idiot.