[MPlayer-users] VDPAU stuttering when playing x264 encoded media

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed May 5 20:18:54 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 17:58 +0100, Tom Evans wrote:
>> Switching to Üoti's mplayer git repository fixes the stuttering, but
>
> Where did you get that 'Ü' from? My name has ASCII characters only...

My mistake - apologies

>> exposes other problems, like the screen not being cleared when the
>> media finishes playing (the last frame is left on screen).
>
> What do you mean by "frame is left on screen"? The video plays in a
> window and the window is closed when the player exits. What is left
> after that?

Not in all use cases, I run mplayer from .xinitrc, like so:

  /usr/local/bin/mplayer -idle -slave -input file=/home/tom/.mplayer/cmd.fifo

and then control mplayer from my phone via a web app that writes to
the command fifo.

In this scenario, mplayer does not exit when the media ends playing.
In this scenario, svn-mplayer clears the screen, hiding any window,
such that the desktop is visible again. git-mplayer doesn't, it leaves
the last frame visible.

>> I'm sure I have seen reports of this on the mplayer svn branch, and
>> they had been fixed, so I would prefer to continue to use the official
>> branch of mplayer if possible.
>
> I don't remember any svn change that would match your description.
> There are several unfixed VDPAU-related issues in svn btw; it's unlikely
> that it would get improved to the level of the git vo.

I can't find any such report now - I must have been imaging it :/

Nevertheless, git-mplayer behaves differently to svn-mplayer in this
respect, so clearly there exists some difference between the two to
account for this.

git-mplayer plays the files just fine with vdpau, but it doesn't clear
the screen after the media finishes. If it did that, it would be
perfect.

Cheers

Tom