[MPlayer-users] Audio and video slowly drifting out of sync

Timothy Jones one.timothy.jones at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 00:42:35 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Reimar Döffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:13:58AM -0400, TJ wrote:
> > I was thinking maybe this has something to do with the monitor refresh
> rate
> > being 60Hz while the video is 59.94Hz.
> >
> > Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?
>
> Among others
> -vf framestep=2
> disable vsync (might cause tearing), e.g.:
> -vo gl:swapinterval=0
> usually,
> -vo xv
> should work as well.

Reimar, U da man! I am onto something. I realized that this whole time I've
been using vdpau for output. Here are results:

-vo vdpau (adding -vc ffh264vdpau lowered CPU % but did not make difference)
 -- video very smooth, but slowly drifts out of sync (lags behind). If I
seek to another location, it goes back in sync and starts drifting again

-vo vdpau -framedrop -- video smooth and stays in sync, but once every 20-30
seconds jerks noticeably. I am assuming to sync back up with audio.

-vo vdpau -hardframedrop -- stays in sync, but a bit choppy, not a smooth as
above. It is more tolerable than just -framedrop

-vo xv -- stays in sync, but a bit choppy especially on high motion scenes.
CPU usage is higher.

-vo gl is same as -vdpau

-vo gl:swapinterval=0 -- stays in sync and video pretty smooth, but seems I
am seeing a bit of tearing

I will try it later today on a more powerful computer and see which looks
best. So far my 2 choices are -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau -hardframedrop or
-vo gl:swapinterval=0

Thank you again. -TJ