[MPlayer-users] Audio and video slowly drifting out of sync

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Thu Mar 25 21:36:07 CET 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 10:13 -0400, TJ wrote:
> When playing HD files encoded with h.264, video progressively goes out of sync
> with (lags behind) the audio. I tried it on 2 different computers. Here are the
> commands I used:

> I am using MPlayer SVN-r29796-4.3.4.

> I was thinking maybe this has something to do with the monitor refresh rate
> being 60Hz while the video is 59.94Hz.

Yes this problem is most likely related to the frame rates. It's a
limitation of the VDPAU driver (also shared by some other video outputs)
in MPlayer svn.

Try compiling a player from
git://repo.or.cz/mplayer-build.git

That has superior VDPAU support and should avoid this problem.
(Depending on your linux distro there may be precompiled packages
available in case you don't want to compile yourself.)