[MPlayer-users] GPL question

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Mar 22 08:10:10 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 01:25:31AM -0000, Phil Rhodes wrote:
> >As long as it is separate binaries that is usually considered a
> >"mere aggregation".
> >Even a frontend calling them via the command line is not
> >considered a "derived
> >work" under the GPL. Which is the case for "intrusive" ways which
> >still do not
> >involve direct linking probably will only be decidable by a judge.
>
> I have never appreciate the wisdom of this. What it seems to say is:
> you can use [GPL software] as part of your program, but you must do
> it in a backward and inefficient manner.
>
> Most users will not understand this distinction, and in the case of
> a frontend calling the executable behind the scenes, will not even
> be aware that there is a distinction to be made.
>
> Really, who does this help?

Uh, you can trivially write a program that "debugs" the frontend using the
other program only via commandline  for example.
Also it would be rather annoying if no closed-source program was allowed to
use grep, sed or even the shell itself, wouldn't it?
But mostly it is a clarification of copyright law, and what is considered
a derived work and what isn't, so if you have an issue with it my first suggestion
would be to complain about your politicians having written an absolutely sh*tty
copyright law that leaves everyone guessing what it actually means.