[MPlayer-users] mplayer and dual-head (clone) sync question.

Mark Lenders kokoko3k at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 15:02:58 CET 2010

2010/3/2 Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>

> Well, it's definitely silly to display the overlay on one while syncing to
> the other, which is what you described...
> I expected they can always only sync to a specific one, and that's why it's the first,
> however if they can sync to whichever they want (though they can select which at
> runtime) it obviously shouldn't be the one that doesn't display anything.

Your point is surely right, but today i made some tests about this issue,
and they made me crazy.
Trying to make the jerkyness more evident, i set the vga output to 75hz,
leaving the lvds one to 60.
Not only the video on TV was jerky like hell, but what i never expected
was to see tearing on an overlay surface!
(same issue with a 25fps source)
Nothing that i wrote changes even if i switch LVDS off via xrandr.

Then i tried with opengl output: tearing on both displays, even after
configuring dri
to force vsync via driconf.

Funniest and last thing:
glxgears was jerky on VGA (at 75hz), and smooth on LVDS (60hz),
but console messages said that the frame rate was capped at 75fps (?!)

Probably I'm not that expert to say this, but everything is pointing to a
driver issue, it seems that vsync interrupts are entirely based on
lvds panel.

As soon as i have time to try again, i'll try to switch lvds off via xorg.conf
and/or from grub; next i'll try to update xf86-video-intel.