[MPlayer-users] Horizontal lines with HD .mkv files

Bev bashley101 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 17:26:41 CEST 2010

On 06/29/10 01:54, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Bev<bashley101<at>  gmail.com>  writes:
>
>>  If it's not buffering, can anyone suggest what the
>>  problem might be and a possible solution?
>
> I believe you experience tearing and I believe it is possible that it is
> unavoidable on the console.
> (Could you explain again what is bad about -vo gl or why you like the - slower -
> console?)

My live-in consultant (otherwise known as my beloved husband) hates running
under X under any circumstances, and if he's forced to use it he has to reboot
the machine. The NVidia driver alters the state of the graphics card under X
and doesn't reset it when he switches back to the console.  The nv driver
doesn't do that, but it crashes all the time under firefox and is totally unusable.

Research reveals that mplayer calls the buffer 'cache' and when I increased the
cache size it eliminated the video problem.

--
Cheers, Bev