[MPlayer-users] Font scan

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 15:53:02 CEST 2010

On 29 Jun 2010, at 14:47, Phil Rhodes wrote:

>> For subtitles.
>
> Yes, but... but...
> DVDs don't need fonts, the subtitle is a bitmap.
>
> I guess... what... pirated movies?

One might rip one's DVD to .mp4 and then add the subtitles as a .srt
file.

The .srt file is a plain text file of the subtitle text with timings
added to indicate to the player when they should be displayed.

Apparently this subtitle ripping can be done using OCR. I have no idea
how reliable it is.

EG:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubRip

I believe there may be other programs to perform this operation - I
believe I've seen ORC as a USE flag when installing mplayer, some
other video player or dependencies in Gentoo.

> But how do you even change subtitle fonts?

No idea.

Stroller.