[MPlayer-users] Cygwin Issues with --enable-gui

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Jun 25 16:17:37 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 02:52:02AM -0700, Paul Huwe wrote:
> I downloaded mplayer and tried to install it on my cygwin system. When configured with just a --cc="gcc" switch, it compiles fine and I have a working mplayer. When I add --enable-gui, it configs fine and makes fine until linking, when I get:

I don't think the Gui is supported on cygwin.
You can either do a MinGW build (e.g. with the old cygwin compiler and -mno-cygwin and --target trick),
or fix the cygwin build to do a compile of the X11-based Gui - that should compile.

> If I go to gui/win32/interface.c:495, and naively replace the line
>
> hThread = _beginthreadex(NULL, 0, GuiThread, NULL, 0, &threadId);
>
> with
>
> hThread = CreateThread(NULL, 0, GuiThread, NULL, 0, &threadId);
>
> Everything makes fine and what not. After creating a link:
>
> ln -s mplayer.exe gmplayer.exe
>
> and running gmplayer, I get a program that launches with the Blue gui (which I downloaded). When I try to open anything (DVD, mp3) however, I get an "Abort." and the program closes. mplayer will still open dvds & mp3s
> just fine. (NOTE: even if I config with --enable-debug, I still just get "Abort.")
>
> Anyone have a clue as to why gmplayer is dying?

In my experience, while it is supposed to, combining cygwin and native win32 functions
often fails with the strangest behaviour.