[MPlayer-users] Y4m

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org
Mon Jun 21 19:40:30 CEST 2010

On 6/21/2010 11:59 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Rolf Ernst<rolf.ernst<at>  silverlightning.org>  writes:
>

>> I am trying to use mencoder in my little GUI to create VP8 encoded
>> filtes.
>>
> Why don't you use FFmpeg?
>
> Carl Eugen

Well, I have written this whole UI (YAMF) around mencoder. It seems
idiosyncratic to use both mencoder and ffmpeg in the same app as there
is tons of overlap. I don't want to rewrite it but as you say, I might
pump it into ffmpeg and use that solely for VP8 encoding and do the
whole cropping and filtering and audio in mencoder. That works.

On the other hand - the webm people released an mencoder patch to
support VP in mencoder. Glancing at the svn code that patch has been
(somewhat) integrated but apparently currently does not work or does not
work right (you can say vcodec=libvpx but the resulting output is not
playable).

Do you know what the status of it is and what the plan? If you tell me,
yes, we'll get it working within a few weeks it sounds like I might just
hold off. If you say, well, we have no plans for it I may go the ffmpeg
route but I'd rather not.

/re