[MPlayer-users] Anybody playing Blu-Rays well without VDPAU/VAAPI?

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Fri Jun 18 09:53:45 CEST 2010

On 18.06.2010 08:11, Grant wrote:
>>> I can play Blu-Ray rips no problem via VDPAU, but without VDPAU the
>>> a/v eventually gets out of sync or if I use -framedrop there's dropped
>>> frames all over the place.  My CPU is a dual-core AMD 3.1Ghz.  Has
>>> anyone been able to play Blu-Rays well without VDPAU/VAAPI?
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>
>> I have an AMD Phenom II (Quadcore) with 2.8GHz each, and can play the
>> only Blu-Ray RIP (made with Dump HD) without any A/V problems and around
>> 60% CPU load (on one processor) for mplayer, 20% for X. With VDPAU (in
>> Xinerama, working only with the new 256.x-drivers) I still have 60% CPU
>> load for mplayer, but 0 for X, also without problems.
>
> Software Blu-Ray playback at 60% CPU load?  Do you use any "tricks" in
> your mplayer command line?
>
> - Grant

No, not that I'm aware of. I base this though only on the playback of
two of my movies, and I don't know the codec they're using. One is 2001
A Space Odyssey (according to
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare6/2001.htm it is VC-1, don't
know from memory if this holds true for the german BD variant), and the
other is Wolverine, which though has been converted to a 1080p-MKV using
makemkv. As far as I know, no transcoding has been done on the file,
according to the same site, it is using MPEG-4 AVC Video).

It is my observation that the phenom II core is quite faster (even one
core at its own) than its predecessor, at least that are my observations
regarding transcoding speed & other such tasks.

--
cheers,
Alex