[MPlayer-users] Anybody playing Blu-Rays well without VDPAU/VAAPI?

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Thu Jun 17 23:18:40 CEST 2010

On 06/17/2010 08:22 PM, Grant wrote:
> I can play Blu-Ray rips no problem via VDPAU, but without VDPAU the
> a/v eventually gets out of sync or if I use -framedrop there's dropped
> frames all over the place.  My CPU is a dual-core AMD 3.1Ghz.  Has
> anyone been able to play Blu-Rays well without VDPAU/VAAPI?
>
> - Grant

I have an AMD Phenom II (Quadcore) with 2.8GHz each, and can play the
only Blu-Ray RIP (made with Dump HD) without any A/V problems and around
60% CPU load (on one processor) for mplayer, 20% for X. With VDPAU (in
Xinerama, working only with the new 256.x-drivers) I still have 60% CPU
load for mplayer, but 0 for X, also without problems.

I don't use VDPAU in regular use, since I'd have to set the environment
variables each time accordingly to the xineramascreen I use, so I don't
bother at all.

Maybe when (sometime) mplayer can play BDs directly from disc, I'll have
more input on this. Currently, with only two BDs in my collection
there's only so much data I can gather, and I don't see the point
spending half an hour (or more?) for dumping BDs to HD, when it should
be possible to play it directly from disc...

--
Cheers,
Alex