[MPlayer-users] Transcoding oddly interlaced/progressive video to progressive video

Richard Harman mplayer-users at richardharman.com
Sun Jun 13 07:38:43 CEST 2010

Has anyone ever encountered an interlace/progressive pattern like this
before:  Two "progressive" frames followed by four interlaced frames.

The DVD I'm transcoding is NTSC 29.97 fps, and I'm pretty sure that the
source material was 23.97 fps.  I've never seen a six-frame pull-down
pattern before.  I'm trying to encode this back into 23.97 fps h264, but
I haven't the slightest idea how to deal with a six-frame pull-down pattern.

If anyone is curious and wants to see what I'm seeing, this is from the
region 1 2005 Dr Who series, season 1 disc 1.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to handle this?

--
Richard G Harman Jr <me+nospam at richardharman.com>