[MPlayer-users] Most recent updates have caused a problem

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Jun 12 07:41:01 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 12:30:51PM +1000, Murray Blakeman wrote:

> >Until the most recent updates I was able to playback videos in the ogv
> >format seamlessly; I could fast-forward and rewind without a second thought
> >I was also able to videos back via a server without any problems.
> >
> >Today, I find that I now have to deal with a lag of a few seconds before
> >such videos play and there's a 'cache no filling' message when I attempt to
> >play back via the server. I've had no such problems with vlc.
> >
> I'm still having this issue with SVN-r31370.  Using "-cache 8192"
> causes the clip to play for a short period of time and I then get
> the "Cache not filling" message and the play stops.
>
> I can watch the clip okay if I don't use the "-cache" argument.
>
> This doesn't happen on all videos.  It only appear to be having the
> issue with Movie Trailers (1080p).
>
> If I watch a 720p/1080p mkv the video will play but there is a short
> pause every few seconds.
>
> I didn't have these issues with previous (March) versions.

Previous mail was about ogv files, you seem to be talking about mkv?
Or all 1080p? Or?
Is there a sample available publicly or can you upload one?
The "Cache not filling" message means that the cache has run empty
and new data takes a long time to arrive.
Larger -cache or -cache-min might help, look also at the last number
in the status line to see how full the cache is.
And do you have the "previous" version around to compare side-by-side?
Maybe for some (other) reason reading the files got too slow and it's
not directly related to MPlayer changes?
Also which OS are you running on (Window, Linux, BSD, ...?)